Archives

Friday, May 4, 2012

The D + PSG

Hello and welcome to Weekly Ramble number 10 on today May 4th, 2012. As usual I am James and I will be talking about things that I want to talk about. There are a few bits of news that I’ll start off with, then I’ll talk about some character development stuff in “The Creator’s Corner” and I’ll also talk about a fun little project that I started this week. And as always I’ll show you some new stuff on “Semajj’s Bookshelf” and a new Song of the Week sometime before the end of this ramble. Enjoy:



That’s right, the official music video for Tenacious D’s new song, “Rize of the Fenix”, is out for your viewing pleasure. You can click this link to go to the official Tenacious D website where you can pre-order their new album, buy some Tenacious D gear and listen to a few of their new songs. Like I’ve said before, the new album “Rize of the Fenix” hits stores on May 15, 2012 so if you’re into Tenacious D you’ve got something to look forward to in the next few weeks!

A few weeks back I shared J.R. Nova's book called Rising (The Czar Chronicles), today I figured it would be appropriate to share some of my thoughts on this novel. I’ll try to be as vague about details as possible as to not spoil anything about the story: Personally, I really liked Rising, it was a fun read and each time I picked it up, I had trouble setting it down. I really liked the twist on some classic “fantasy”/”horror” characters/creatures such as werewolves and witches; I kinda wish that we could have spent more time with the vampire, but I guess the next two books of the trilogy will cover that. Hmm I’d have to say my favorite character was the male lead character, Zen, probably because I’ve always had a thing for characters with “hidden-potential” as shown near the end of the story. Another point in the story which really stood out to me was the relationship between the “big-bad-guy” Czar and his underling Franz, the conflict between them doesn’t start to show until the end, but I like where this could lead to; especially considering a certain twist having to do with a certain werewolf who survives a certain ordeal. So overall I’ll give Rising a 5/5, it’s somewhat short (although that just might be because I’m accustomed to reading Stephen King novels with plenty of pages) but sweet, and I’m already patiently waiting for the next installment of “The Czar Chronicles”. Great job J.R.

Now I want to ramble a bit about reviews. Frankly, I suck at reviews. If you want to call the above a “review” then you can, but it doesn’t seem like a professional review, so I guess I could say “I suck at professionally reviewing things.” Well I guess that’s my ramble about reviews, hah, I don’t know why but whenever I decide to try to write a formal review I just freeze and nothing happens. If you remember a few weeks back, I said that I was going to start posting on my friend Cecilthedarkknight's blog page, but I just can’t seem to write anything worth posting for him. Bah, I’ll leave the reviews to the reviewers and I’ll just keep ramblin’.

Moving on, we have “The Creator’s Corner”! Today I’m going to talk about “Main Protagonist” who, incidentally, is the main protagonist in NEw and how he develops throughout the story. I don’t know why but I just don’t think it’d be a good idea to give out his name, so I’m just going to refer to him as Main (which isn’t his actually name, believe me). In the beginning of NEw, like in most fantasy/adventure stories, Main is confronted by a terrible villain; and after having his face pounded into the mud by this villain he decides that he will stop at nothing to defeat said villain. As time progresses Main will gain and lose allies (and foes), but more allies usually isn’t enough to stop the big-bad, and so Main also needs to go though some changes to essentially “power-up” before the final confrontation. Main starts out with a fairly week supernatural power and a set of revolvers, and as the story goes on he changes, he gains more powers (by both improving his power and gaining new powers from outside sources) and better weapons with which to fight against the terrible villain. The main thing I want to talk about today in this segment is a new weapon that Main comes into possession of: a heavenly Pole-arm called “Sortie On-High”. I wanted to share “Sortie On-High” because I thought it would be a perfect transition tool to talk about a part the world that NEw is set in: the religions. In NEw I’m starting over with human history so that I don’t have to worry about historical accuracy in my story (making sure story matches history is just a bummer, y’know?) and so, any ideas of religion in the world of NEw is, well, new.  God(s), devil(s), angels, demons, humans or whatever, they’re all on a clean slate, and I like it. I’m not going to share much more (at least for today) because I once heard (or read, I don’t remember) but sharing too much of a story before it’s done will lessen the impact of the story when it is finished.
So now I’m going to go to “The Creator’s Corner Part Two” and I’ll talk (very quickly) about a new project: “Black Rock Shooter Append” this is a short story/fanfic that I’m writing in the form of MOTs, that I’m doing for fun. The above link will take you to the “prologue” of the short story, they might change as the rest of the story gets written, so think of them as a sample of what’s to come.

Okay well that’s that for today. Limiting myself to “about 1000 words” is kinda lame because sometimes I don’t get to talk about everything that I want to talk about, but I don’t want my readers to feel overwhelmed when I post 2-4k words a week. If you don’t have a problem with reading a lengthier ramble, just let me know. But until then I’ll keep it short. One new item was added to “Semajj’s Bookshelf” this week, and that is “Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood the OVA Collection” and you can find a link to that in the new “Semajj’s Bookshelf” page/tab at the top of this page. I also added "Otogi Zoshi the Collection of Ages" to the list because a few weeks ago I got it as a free Blind-Box item, but forgot to include it in the segment for that week, so now it's there too. The following video is an AMV (anime music video) using the song "Fly Away" and the anime "Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt" (which is available for preorder from Funimation at Rightstuf.com, just follow the link). The AMV may contain spoilers and may not be exactly SFW: 




And that's our Song of the Week, "Fly Away" by TeddyLoid, oh and the "Songs to Ramble To" section is still under construction but will hopefully be done soon. Anywho I’m needed elsewhere so I’ll leave you with the usual exit banter; you know, the part where I tell you to post in the boxes below (or e-mail me at Semajj07@gmail.com) if you have any concerns, tips, questions or comments? Well that’s all for today, and as always: May the Fourth Be With You!

No comments:

Post a Comment